20060115

SKYDIVING IN NEW ZEALAND

SKYDIVING IN NEW ZEALAND
(May 2003)


"If at first you don't succeed,

then skydiving is not for you!"

I've finally checked skydiving off from my “Things To Do In This Lifetime” list! A few years ago, when I learned how to scuba dive, I told myself the next step was to get certified, then learn how to ski. After learning how to ski from the top of the mountain all the way to the bottom without falling, I told myself that the next thing was to experience skydiving... And so Bill and I finally did!

We were just approaching Lake Taupo, the largest lake in New Zealand, the size of Singapore, right smack in the center of the North Island. We had a late start out of Rotorua, the heart of Maori culture & geothermal-volcanic activity. I was therefore worried about not having enough time to enjoy what Lake Taupo had to offer, such as trout fishing, jetboating to waterfalls, whitewater rafting, quad biking, learning more about volcanic activity, and bungee jumping. Unlike Bill, I was not at all that interested in bungee jumping, which traces its commercial roots to New Zealand. It seemed to me like it was the quickest way to a 34 year old heart attack.

Once we had arrived at the Visitor's Center to get some more detailed information, we were greeted by a spry elderly woman. She asked, "So, what are you boys into...museums, bungee..?". Somehow in the deep dark recesses of my brain, I had stored some information that I had recently read about New Zealand being one of the top drop zones in the world. So out of nowhere, I quipped, "How about skydiving?". She quickly made a short call, and immediately informed us, "It's a perfect day for a jump and if you head out right now to the airport, they will be waiting for you with your gear all ready to go."

And so we drove directly to the spot, not a word was spoken in the car, with just a dazed look in our eyes; we inadvertently forgot to look out the side of our car window to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the region.

As we arrived at Taupo Tandem Skydiving, NZ's first skydive operation, and currently the largest in the world, I thought to myself, "Oh my God, what did I just do?! Am I entitled to at least one phone call?!"

After selecting our package, getting weighed, signing the liability waiver, getting suited up, watching the instructional video...we were on our way. "Oh my, where's the restroom?" We were introduced to our jumpmasters and camera crew who were young and possessed a Rock 'n Roller daredevil head-banger type of attitude towards life.


pre-jump - with our instructors and cameraman

We then boarded a Fletcher plane, which holds a maximum of 8 passengers. I went all the way to the back, while Bill had the seat beside the plexiglass door.


pre-board
Take-Off!

As soon as we took off, I paid close attention to my altimeter which was fast approaching the target altitude. I tried my best to avoid looking out the window, even peripherally. Finally we were 12,000 feet above the ground, peering nervously into the bright blue expanse of sky, scattered with fresh white clouds.

Before I knew it we were being tightly fastened and strapped to our jumpmasters' bodies, being instructed to rest our heads on their shoulders, and to curve our bodies like a banana and swing our legs backward as if to kick them in the butt, as soon as we got off the plane.

After the pros from France and Switzerland solo jumped, it was our turn. With pulse racing and teeth chattering, we trembled as we were scooted towards the open door of the plane, only pausing to pose for the camera to take our exit shot. “This could very well be my last close-up, Mr. DeMille!”, I thought to myself.


"Oh-Oh, what did I get myself into?!?"

Bill suddenly vanished before my eyes... "Wait!...did you remember to pay the life insurance premium?!", I shouted. Oh-Oh...my turn... “Don't close your eyes, Sean; this will only happen once in a lifetime!"


Are your eyes closed?!..."No, they're not, they really come that way!"

YAAAIIIIKESSSS!.... I felt like my “family jewels” had just punched my tonsils. With 45 seconds of freefall, we plummeted to the earth at a ferocious 200 km/124 miles per hour! Sheer terror quickly turned into WOOOOOOW! It was f+_)(*&^%$#@!g amayyyzing!!! I felt like I had died and turned into an angel floating in the clouds!


"Yaaaiiikes!, my right foot got snagged!"

"Ooops, I think I just wet my pants!"

"I think I left my balls up in the plane!"


drag chute opens

"I beg of you, please don't let go of me!"

in Cloud 9

"WOOOW!!!"

"Amayyyzing!"

"Look, up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane – no, it's..."

"This air pressure makes my face look like a Chinese dumpling"

At 5,000 feet our main chute was released and we glided at a pleasurable speed over the stunning background of the Lake Taupo region and got an awesome view of the snowcapped volcanoes and the lake in its entirety!


Chute Opens - "Pheeww!"

By the time it came close to landing, I was disappointed that it was soon going to be over. Once Bill and I were reunited on dry land, all we said to each other was..."YEEEEAAAH Baby!!!".



post jump

"It takes a minute to live, and a second to die!"

We made it… We're ALIVE!
And we have proof of it on video and still pictures!

Up next on my “To Do” list is to run a marathon before I turn 40!

No comments: