20060113

CANADA

POSTCARDS FROM CANADA
(October 2004)

Bill and I have been to the East Coast of Canada before, but not at the same time. Since Bill had to attend a conference in Toronto, I decided to tag-along so I could visit my relatives, and so that we could take a trip to Montreal together and visit an old friend of mine.

POSTCARD FROM TORONTO INT'L AIRPORT

I flew in on the same flight of Air Canada, as Bill did the day before. Upon arrival at Toronto Airport, I was totally flabbergasted and came utterly unprepared for the scrutiny the Immigration Officer was about to give me: “Purpose of Visit?” - Visiting Relatives. “Where do they live?” - I don’t know. “Why is that?” - ‘Cuz they’re just picking me up to have dinner. “Where are you staying?” - At the Park Hyatt. “Why there and not with them?” - ‘Cuz there’s a conference there. “What Conference?” - Manulife. “So, are you attending the conference for business or are you visiting relatives?” - No, I’m meeting up with my partner, who’s participating in the conference, while I see my relatives. “So, you’re just going along for the ride, eh?” - I guess, if you wanna put it that way. Stamp…”Welcome to Canada!” Djeezshh…my lawyers always told me, “the less details, the better”. As you well know, Sean Saba and details go hand in hand. I should have just told him the purpose of my visit is, “To buy loads of prescription drugs!”…LOL.

POSTCARD FROM TORONTO

My first night was spent having a wonderful reunion with my relatives, who I have not seen in 7 years. Nothing beats the Filipino hospitality. By the time they dropped me off at the hotel, Bill was already dead asleep. My hotel reps were able to hook us up and previously upgraded Bill’s room to a Luxury Suite, much to the bewilderment and chagrin of his fellow conference participants, who were assigned only a room. Since we only have a day left, we are going to spend our limited time exploring the city, bargain & window shopping, and eating at the new hot spot.

POSTCARD FROM THE TRAIN

We’re taking the Via Rail train from Toronto to Montreal. It surprisingly is a pleasant and comfortable 4 hour and 45 minute ride. The only nuisance is this bunch of chatty twinks, along with this one and only teenage girl, who has the most irritating voice and who incessantly keeps ranting about how she hates Celine Dion.
Unfortunately due to last minute planning, we don’t have enough time to continue on to Quebec City. Visiting this other beautiful Canadian
destination will just have to wait another time.

POSTCARD FROM MONTREAL

We have the privilege of staying for free at and being entertained by some of the top luxury hotels located in Montreals Golden Square Mile. Since this is Bill’s first time here, we decided to cover more ground by doing a guided tram tour of Greater Montreal. We were able to cover Old Montreal, Notre-Dame Basilica, Olympic Park, St. Joseph’s Oratory, Mount Royal Park, etc. It is nippy, but the fall colors are all out in all of God’s glory adding more to the beauty of this very cosmopolitan city. Being the second largest French speaking city in the world after Paris, I find myself, once again, able to practice some of my broken “un peu de Francais”. Having been out of touch with the party scene, unknowingly and by coincidence, we are here during the Black & Blue Festival, one of the biggest Gay parties in the world. But instead of joining in all the revelry, we decided it would be more fun to meet up with an old friend from the Philippines for a nice dinner in the Village. “Boy, am I getting old or what!?!”…LOL.

Notre-Dame Basilica

Olympic Park

St. Joseph’s Oratory

St. Joseph’s Oratory

view of Montreal from Mount Royal Park



*************************************

POSTCARDS FROM CANADA
(June 2001)


POSTCARDS FROM VANCOUVER


Shopping in Vancouver


POSTCARDS FROM VICTORIA




*************************************

POSTCARDS FROM CANADA
(August 1997)

POSTCARDS FROM TORONTO

POSTCARDS FROM NIAGARA FALLS

POSTCARDS FROM MONTREAL

No comments: